- We have two copies of our marriage license.
- I have had my medical and chest x-ray required for applying for a permanent visa.
- My mom has mailed the rest of my immigration/tax paperwork, and it should arrive early next week.
Things yet to do:
- Obtain statutory declarations from at least two people (Australian citizens or permanent residents over age 18). We’ve printed five forms.
- Finish filling out my half of the application form.
- Fill out Darrin’s half of the application form.
- Collect various pieces of evidence that our relationship is “genuine and continuing” and that I’m not just getting married to migrate to Australia.
- We each have to write up our own history of when & how we met, how long till we decided to get married, and all that stuff.
- We need a certified copy of Darrin’s birth certificate.
- We need certified copies of both our passports.
- I need to get four passport photos.
- Darrin needs to get two passport photos.
- After all of the above is completed/obtained, we will go to the immigration office and meet with an agent who will (hopefully!) grant my visa, and charge us nearly $1800.
Non-visa related stuff:
- I need to take one of the marriage license copies to the bank to change my name.
- Qantas also wants a photocopy of the marriage license to change my name on my frequent flier account.
- File my taxes, preferably online.
Stuff to do AFTER the visa is granted:
- Send my passport & marriage license to the US embassy in Melbourne, where they’ll change my name on THAT.
- Find out if my return tickets are refundable.
- Go across the road with my passport and find out about getting a South Australia driver’s license, so I don’t have to carry my passport everywhere anymore.
- Start looking for work.
Things to do today:
- Win at Mario Kart.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Stay inside where the sun can’t get me.
- Shower to cool off.
Books I want:
- Robin Jones Gunn’s Sisterchicks Do the Hula
- Brandilyn Collins’s Brink of Death (to be released April 2004)
- Liz Curtis Higgs’s Fair is the Rose (to be released March 16th)
DVD sets I want:
- All nine seasons of The X-Files (1-8 available now, 9 available later this year) and the movie
- Season 1 of Gilmore Girls (to be released May 4th)
- Season 1 of Star Trek: Voyager (to be released February 24th)
- The Best of the Muppet Show
- Series 5-8 of Red Dwarf (not released, no release date public as far as I know)
- A big extended version 3-pack of The Lord of the Rings (my guess is late this year, or early next, I have no inside information)
- The full set of The Matrix trilogy (next year for Christmas, do you think?)
- The full set of Star Wars movies (all six, once they actually do a set)
Movies I’m eagerly awaiting:
- Shrek 2 (May 2004)
- The Wallace & Gromit Movie: Curse of the Wererabbit (2005)
- Red Dwarf: The movie (who knows, supposedly they’re starting production this year)
- The next X-Files movie (ditto)
- Star Wars: Episode 3 (2005)
Things I want:
- A kitten.
- A stand-up mixer like the Kitchen Aid one my mom has, only they don’t sell Kitchen Aid products here.
- A freezer. Not the dinky little one you find at the top of a fridge, a full-blown upright freezer that I can stock lots of food in.
- A VCR that plays BOTH Australian & American video formats.
- A crock pot.
- A winning lottery ticket worth several thousand dollars, so we can buy these things & pay off credit card bills.