On Wednesday sometime, Shopko turned on its Christmas music rotation. Twenty-five of the same songs sung over and over by different people. That’s not even an exaggeration. Okay, so it is. But I bet it’s not off by that much.
- I THINK the title of the song is “What are you doing New Year’s Eve?” It goes like this, at least some renditions: “What are you doing New Year’s, Newwwwwwww Yeeeeeeeeear’s eeeeeeeeeeeeeve?” Yeesh.
- “The Twelve Days of Christmas” There’s 3 or 4 different versions they play. Only one has the original words, but they’re all getting on my nerves. Gimme Shrek’s version any day.
- “I’ll be home for Christmas”
- “Happy Holidays” What is it about people that they have to make up things Santa might bring in his sleigh?
- “Christmas was made for children” I have no idea who sings this, but they’re really annoying. Lounge singing at its, uh, most typical.
- “Winter Wonderland”
- “Have yourself a merry little Christmas” “From now on our troubles will be out of sight.” Yeah right.
- “Santa Claus is coming to town” No he isn’t.
I’m not saying everything they’re playing sucks. Some of the instrumental stuff is…well, it’s not great, but it’s tolerable. And they throw in some pieces from the Charlie Brown Christmas special. And I don’t mind listening to Elvis. But really…why not at least mix it up with the regular music? At least then you won’t be hearing the same song fifteen times in one night.